Edward T. Butkovitz
Ed is a partner in Kleinbard’s Litigation Department with significant experience in all aspects of commercial litigation. He has represented businesses and individuals in a wide array of litigation involving business torts, product liability, real property disputes, contract matters, shareholder and partnership disputes, business divorce, and insurance coverage.
Ed takes tremendous pride in developing a strong understanding of his clients and their businesses. By learning about clients’ short-term and long-term needs, goals, and motivations, Ed is able to tailor a strategy to achieve the best possible outcome for them. He does not apply a one-size-fits-all approach to his client matters. Instead, Ed acts as a trusted advisor, keeping lines of communication open so that strategies can evolve along with his clients’ particular needs and circumstances.
Prior to joining Kleinbard, Ed served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Mark. I. Bernstein in the Commerce Court of the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania.
- Obtained $15 million settlement against insurance company that denied life insurance claim based on allegations that policy had lapsed and was a stranger originated life insurance (STOLI) transaction procured through fraud.
- Obtained arbitration award for full amount sought (in excess of $400,000) on behalf of service provider.
- Obtained summary judgment in client’s favor on breach of contract claim involving a disputed loan between members of a family business.
Recognition & Accomplishments
- Rising Star, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2017-2020)
- Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America (2021-2022)
David Hyman quoted in Philadelphia Business Journal on Dougherty’s Resignation and the Potential Impacts on the Community