Julie C. Berson
Julie is a partner in the Business and Finance Department and a member of the Firm’s Real Estate and Finance Group. Julie’s practice includes property acquisitions, leasing, ground leasing, condominiums, and planned unit developments, where she has worked with multi-family, retail, office, and industrial properties. She also has extensive experience in the area of financing, having represented both borrowers and lenders in connection with the origination, acquisition, syndication, and disposition of mortgage loans, leasehold financings and subordinate debt, lines of credit, and post-closing modifications.
Julie works with clients across a multitude of industries including charter schools, restaurants, and those interested in Qualified Opportunity Zone investments. She serves as a trusted advisor to her clients throughout the entire lifespan of each transaction – from negotiating letters of intent and reviewing due diligence materials to coordinating and documenting the closing and continuing the representation after the closing. She is regarded for her ability to anticipate her clients’ needs and navigate any challenges that may arise during a transaction in order to advance their interests.
Prior to joining the Firm, Julie served as a law clerk to Judge Pollak, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and to Judge Shapiro, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Ongoing representation of an investor group in the acquisition and leasing of long-term leased properties, including in 2019 21 properties in 16 states for a total purchase price of over $56 million and in 2020 45 properties in 17 states for a total purchase price of over $90 million.
- Represented a local developer in the acquisition and financing of a 2.3 acre parcel in Center City, Philadelphia, which will be redeveloped as townhomes, 150+ units of multifamily, parking and retail space. Ongoing representation in connection with the acquisition and financing of numerous large development sites.
- Represent an investment group in connection with the purchase, diligence, retail leasing, and financing of nine multi-family properties in Philadelphia since 2017.
- Represent a healthcare nonprofit in connection with acquisition and disposition of properties and leasing.
- Represent a transportation company in connection with the leasing of several sites, including addressing significant environmental concerns.
- Represent several charter schools in connection with the leasing and/or acquisition of school properties, mortgage and bond financing, formation of foundation entities, and 501(c)(3) designations.
- Represent landlords in connection with leasing restaurant space and transfer of liquor licenses.
- Represent a nonprofit in connection with securing the purchase of a portfolio of properties from the Land Bank of Philadelphia, including obtaining zoning variances and drafting condominium documents.
- Represented a local bank in connection with securing two lines of credit totaling over $30 million and the creation of a $10 million/year loan sale program.
- Represented a new healthcare business in connection with securing $2 million in leasehold financing.
- Represented a community revitalization group in the sale of a portfolio of properties.
- Represented a?U.S. and European bank syndicate in connection with $760 million acquisition financing secured by five regional shopping malls located in Ohio, California and Washington, where the loan was later securitized in a single-asset, stand-alone transaction.
- Represented a?U.S. bank in connection with $85 million acquisition financing secured by hotel resort property located on Paradise Island, Bahamas.
- Represented a U.S. and European bank syndicate in connection with the origination and securitization of a mortgage loan and mezzanine loan in the aggregate amount of $652.5 million secured by 135 limited service hotel properties located in 21 states.
- Represent property owners in the negotiation and sale of cell tower sites.
- Represented a charter school in connection with the acquisition and financing of its campus.
- Loan Committee, PIDC
- Executive Committee, Real Property Section, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Young Leaders Council, Urban Land Institute
Recognition & Accomplishments
- Real Estate Deal Maker, The Philadelphia Business Journal (2021)
- Lawyers on the Fast Track, The Legal Intelligencer (2020)
- Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America (2020)
- Rising Star, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2018-2021)
- Millennials to Watch in Law, The Philadelphia Business Journal (2017)
- Volunteer, Support Center for Child Advocates
- Volunteer, Income Tax Assistance Program
David Hyman quoted in Philadelphia Business Journal on Dougherty’s Resignation and the Potential Impacts on the Community