For over 70 years, Kleinbard has represented a broad range of professional services firms including law firms, accounting firms, insurance brokerage firms, investment advisory firms, architectural and engineering firms, and medical practices, as well as management, information technology, and healthcare consulting firms. We are often the firm of choice for the top professional services firms in our region and are proud to be the “lawyers’ lawyer” for our colleagues and peers.
We provide our professional services industry clients legal services and counseling in the areas of:
- Business formation;
- Business counseling;
- Business divorce;
- Corporate governance;
- Counseling on professional ethical standards;
- Mergers and acquisitions;
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances;
- Financings (equity and debt);
- Intellectual property protection and licensing;
- Shareholder and partner disputes and litigation;
- Insurance coverage counseling and litigation;
- Professional liability litigation;
- Restrictive covenant litigation;
- Business succession planning;
- Employment and independent contractor counseling;
- Employee benefits;
- Executive compensation;
- Government relations; and
- Tax planning.
Examples of our attorneys’ successes in representing clients involved in professional services include:
- Representing a 20-member group of intellectual property attorneys in its separation from an “AM Law 50” law firm and the subsequent formation and partnership documentation governing the new firm.
- Representing a law firm with a history of representing Philadelphia businesses for over 100 years in connection with the planning and implementing of its dissolution, including the resulting contractual liabilities, as well as client transition and related ethical issues.
- Representing a law firm in litigation arising from the misconduct of a partner and related ethical issues.
- Representing an IT authentication consulting firm in the sale of its business to the consulting division of a “Big Four” accounting firm for approximately $15 million.
- Representing four founding members of a healthcare consulting firm in their leveraged buyout from a regional accounting firm, including new partnership agreements and the firm’s debt and equity financing arrangements.
- Structuring, negotiating, and closing the $60 million leveraged buyout of a 175-year-old construction and engineering firm for one of the largest privately-held companies in the United States.
- Representing a specialty architecture firm in forming a joint venture with an internationally prominent architect/designer to pursue hospital design opportunities in China.
- Successfully representing a designer of customized computer software in connection with a multi-million dollar negligent design claim by a national health insurer.
- Serving as independent compliance counsel to investigate whistleblower claims for a consulting firm advising businesses and governments worldwide on the subject of climate change.
- Successfully representing an architecture firm in a dispute with a former officer and shareholder involving multiple contractual and business tort claims.
- Advising and counseling financial advisors and firms in the financial services industry in connection with restrictive covenant and transition issues, as well as enforcing and defending restrictive covenants on their behalf.